Digital Nomads Reading List
There are a number of nomad-friendly books that have either influenced myself, or people I’ve met along my path that I thought I’d highlight here. These books relate to mindset, personal experience, and necessary skills. Once again, affiliate links below.
I didn’t want to give you a year of reading –just a few essential nomad books.
While you may not appreciate every single aspect of Tim’s book, it is a bible of sorts, for most modern nomads and it comes up in discussion a lot.
Special Discounts for Lonely Planet
Check out Lonely Planet’s book shop for more travel information. With our link you are eligible for discounts other people won’t receive, and free shipping on orders over $40 USD (or $50 CAD).
They often run Buy One, Get One deals –so check it out.
Mindset and Overcoming Personal Obstacles
A handful of nomad books to get you over yourself, and mentally prepare you for the drastic changes ahead. I’ve read all but one of these books and they helped me cope with my own negative attitudes and those around me, get out of a rut, or leverage skills and experience I already had for a higher quality of life.
- The Decision Book: Fifty Models for Strategic Thinking (Fully Revised Edition)
- Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
- The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
- A Thousand New Beginnings: Tales of Solo Female Travel Through Southeast Asia
- Gorilla Mindset: How to Control Your Thoughts and Emotions and Live Life on Your Terms
- How to Become a Modern Viking: A Man’s Guide To Unleashing The Warrior Within
- Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
On Work, Travel and Life Balance
These nomad books are highly rated and useful from the get-go. Worth mention is that I really enjoy just about anything Mish Slade writes and I suggest checking out her other work; she’s a great inspiration for both my career and my life on the road. I’ve listed two of her books here at the top of the list.
- Travel While You Work: The Ultimate Guide to Running a Business from Anywhere
- Travel Like a Pro: Road-Tested Tips for Digital Nomads and Frequent Travelers
- How to Travel the World on $50 a Day
- Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose
- The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It
- Job Escape Plan: The 7 Steps to Build a Home Business, Quit your Job and Enjoy the Freedom
- International House Sitting: How to Travel The World And Stay Anywhere, For FREE (or read our free guide)
- Rework by Seth Godin
The Trustafarian Handbook
If you’re going to make a serious go of becoming a digital nomad, it’s probably best you have a firm grasp on how we’re viewed by many of the fine folks of Reddit, and other communities. I couldn’t put it down (it’s hilarious), and I found so many parallels between Trustafarians and Digital Nomads that I couldn’t stop showing my wife, who was no stranger to digital nomads and brohemians before I rolled into her life.
I suggest reading the Trustafarian Handbook –surprisingly enough, it hasn’t been ported over to digital nomads just yet.
Although, I am hoping this suggestion spawns one. If you decide to write a satirical digital nomad handbook, I’d really like to write one of the forewords. You know, after Tim Ferris and Johnny FD.
You can pick up The Trustafarian Handbook here.
Wrapping it up
Fellow nomads! This reading list is a mere drop in the bucket –there’s plenty of them out there for you to enjoy.
Are their any books or other digital nomad reading lists that inspired you –or perhaps you wrote a book of your own? Let us know in the comments.
Join The Passive Income "Dark Web"
We’ve joined forces with Just One Way Ticket, The Professional Hobo, and others to create a private online community called The Roaming Economy.
Network with members from all around the world and learn how to generate an online income with exclusive access to mastermind groups, Zoom calls, and online courses.
Lock in your membership before Christmas Eve, and get lifetime access for free with promo code HOHOHO.