Welcome to Hobo with a Laptop, we’re glad you’re here. We thought we’d take a moment to show you around. Our website can be a little confusing to first-time visitors –Is this a travel blog? Why are there so many posts about marketing? A travel blog about travel blogging? How meta.
A Distinct Audience
The world seems like a crazy place these days. Our primary objective is to help and motivate others to pick up a passport, get a remote job, and see it –to find beauty and improve their quality of life.
We serve travelers and expats with valuable information about the specific regions we visit.
For those that wish to travel beyond a vacation, we offer resources that will help them find remote work or start a blog of their own and monetize it.
And for our clients, we demonstrate that we know how to fulfill their business needs –we’re travel bloggers with a B2B mindset. And that’s unique.
How the Blog is Organized
There are five distinct areas where we put our focus as we create new blog posts.
Digital Nomad Job Boards
Not every digital nomad will start their journey as a “location independent entrepreneur”, so we’ve assembled a giant database of freelance remote job websites that you can browse to find work you can do from anywhere.
Currently there are almost 100 freelance remote job sites to choose from.
Click here to learn more about our digital nomad jobs boards directory.
Guides & Resources
A collection of guides and resources to help others begin cobbling together their own unique spin on location independence.
Our guides cover a range of topics, such as how to start and monetize a blog, how to properly leverage search optimization, how to become a virtual assistant, and how to begin your digital nomad lifestyle in Chiang Mai.
You can view our entire tools archive here.
We’ve recently started a Facebook group for skill sharing, networking, and travel discussion.
We will be running a ‘digital nomad sweepstakes’ from time to time to help our readers get their hands on helpful tools, swag, and hotel accommodation for free.
Digital Nomad Reading List
The 5 Stages of Becoming a Digital Nomad
To help you navigate our website, we’ve put together a short reading plan to help you get started with becoming a full-time digital nomad. There’s much more to discover on our website, so feel free to color outside the lines.
Stage 1: Get Psyched
A little brain candy never hurt; whether you’re into that “abundance mindset” way of thinking, or you just need to define your goalpost, here are a few resources to get you pumped up.
- This Diagram is the Key to Your Digital Nomad Success
- Suggested Reading for Aspiring Digital Nomads
- My Digital Nomad Origin Story
- Why is Chiang Mai the “Digital Nomad Capital of the World”?
- The Pros and Cons of Digital Nomad Living
- How to Overcome 30 Realistic Obstacles to Becoming a Digital Nomad
- The Careful Art of Deadline Travel
- Yes, it’s Possible to be a Digital Nomad with Kids
- Life Advice from the Wagoners, a Digital Nomad Family
- 40 Countries and Counting: How a Polish Digital Nomad Couple Makes it Work
- Chiang Mai Hotel Swimming Pool Roundup
Stage 2: Do Research
Once you’ve articulated what you’re after, it’s time to do your research. Browse these resources to get a clear picture of high-level tasks required to move forward, prepare for unexpected costs, and understand the less attractive aspects of digital nomad life. No rose-colored glasses here, promise.
- How Digital Nomads Handle Criticism for Rejecting the Status Quo
- How Much Should I Save Up Before I Become a Digital Nomad?
- Thai Visa Process, Explained
- The Best Time to Visit Chiang Mai, Thailand
- How to Save Hundreds of Dollars on Travel Vaccines
- How to Get the Cheapest Price on Flights
- Is it Legal to Become a Digital Nomad?
- “Lifestyle Design Porn” and Other Digital Nomad Bullsh*t
Stage 3: Arm Yourself
This is where you’ll learn about the skills you’ll need to possess to make a proactive push towards your goals and the mindset required to weather The Struggle.
- 14 Ways to Cope with the Unpredictability of Living in Asia
- “Roadworthy” Skills Required to Become Location Independent
- Learn New Skills with our Guides and Online Courses
- Our Big Directory of 84+ Digital Nomad Job Boards
- How to Make Emergency Money as You Travel
Stage 4: Get Prepared
Here we’ll explore all of the tangibles; the gear, the tools, and the final steps you will need to make in order to begin your journey.
- 50+ Digital Nomad Tools We Use to Live and Work Remotely
- The Best International Bank for Expats
- Digital Nomad Packing List
- Headed to Thailand? Here’s What You Should Leave at Home (Because 7-Eleven is Awesome)
- How to Speed Up Internet Anywhere in the World
Stage 5: Jump
This is the final leg of the beginning of your journey, where we tie together everything you’ve learned, help you get where you’re going, and review the important parts. At this point, much of our website focuses on Chiang Mai, Thailand due to its popularity, and because that’s where we started out abroad.
- How to Set Up Your Mobile Phone in Thailand
- Where to Rent a Motor Bike in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Where to Rent an Apartment in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Where to Find a Gym in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- How to Open a Bank Account in Thailand
- How to Save Money in Chiang Mai, Thailand
- A Story of Travel, Health, and Self Destruction
- Download “Digital Nomad Escape Plan” for Offline Reading; a Free 200-page Chiang Mai Guide for New Digital Nomads
Continuing Your Education
By now, you know all there is to know to get onto a plane and make the leap, but what now? Enhance your internet marketing skills or learn new ones with our upcoming guides and online courses –sign up to our newsletter so you never miss a launch.
Future guides and course materials will focus on how to create a blog, how to monetize a blog, how to optimize a blog for search, how to leverage Pinterest for website traffic generation, and how to become a virtual assistant.
What's Your Favorite Cryptocurrency?Ethereum is our jam --if you found this website useful, feel free to leave a tip with a cryptocurrency! Visit our blog often for fresh posts about travel, blogging tips, freelance, cryptocurrencies, and the tools we use on the road. You can also browse our remote job site directory here.
Other Helpful Links:
Free Chiang Mai Digital Nomad Guide for Hobo ReadersIf you're planning to become a travel blogger or digital nomad in the near future, we invite you to take a look at Digital Nomad Escape Plan; a full-fledged (almost) 200-page ebook to help you get started on your nomad travels in Chiang Mai, Thailand (and it's completely free).
You can download your free copy here.