Reading List for Digital Nomads
There are a number of books that have either influenced myself, or people I’ve met along my path that I thought I’d highlight here. These books relate to mindset, personal experience, and necessary skills. Once again, affiliate links below.
I didn’t want to give you a year of reading –just a few essentials.
And of course, if you haven’t read 4 Hour Workweek, I think now is the time (although I’d be flattered greatly if you’ve read this guide first). While you may not appreciate every single aspect of Tim’s book, it is a bible of sorts, for most modern nomads and it comes up in discussion a lot.
Mindset and Overcoming Personal Obstacles
A handful of books to get you over yourself, and mentally prepare you for the drastic changes ahead. I’ve read all but one of these books and they helped me cope with my own negative attitudes and those around me, get out of a rut, or leverage skills and experience I already had for a higher quality of life.
- Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
- The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
- A Thousand New Beginnings: Tales of Solo Female Travel Through Southeast Asia
- Gorilla Mindset: How to Control Your Thoughts and Emotions and Live Life on Your Terms
- How to Become a Modern Viking: A Man’s Guide To Unleashing The Warrior Within
- Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
On Work, Travel and Life Balance
These books are highly rated and useful from the get-go. Worth mention is that I really enjoy just about anything Mish Slade writes and I suggest checking out her other work; she’s a great inspiration for both my career and my life on the road. I’ve listed two of her books here at the top of the list.
- Travel While You Work: The Ultimate Guide to Running a Business from Anywhere
- Travel Like a Pro: Road-Tested Tips for Digital Nomads and Frequent Travelers
- How to Travel the World on $50 a Day
- Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose
- The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It
- Job Escape Plan: The 7 Steps to Build a Home Business, Quit your Job and Enjoy the Freedom
- International House Sitting: How to Travel The World And Stay Anywhere, For FREE
- Rework by Seth Godin
The Trustafarian Handbook
If you’re going to make a serious go of becoming a digital nomad, it’s probably best you have a firm grasp on how we’re viewed by many of the fine folks of Reddit, and other communities. I couldn’t put it down (it’s hilarious), and I found so many parallels between Trustafarians and Digital Nomads that I couldn’t stop showing my wife, who was no stranger to digital nomads and brohemians before I rolled into her life.
I suggest reading the Trustafarian Handbook –surprisingly enough, it hasn’t been ported over to digital nomads just yet.
Although, I am hoping this suggestion spawns one. If you decide to write a satirical digital nomad handbook, I’d really like to write one of the forewords. You know, after Tim Ferris and Johnny FD.
You can pick up The Trustafarian Handbook here.
Fellow nomads! Are their any books that inspired you –or perhaps you wrote a book of your own? Let us know in the comments.
Did you find this post helpful? If you did, pin one of these!
What's Your Favorite Cryptocurrency?Ethereum is our jam --if you found this website useful, feel free to leave a tip with a cryptocurrency! Visit our blog often for fresh posts about travel, blogging tips, freelance, cryptocurrencies, and the tools we use on the road. You can also browse our remote job site directory here.
Other Helpful Links:
Free Chiang Mai Digital Nomad Guide for Hobo ReadersIf you're planning to become a travel blogger or digital nomad in the near future, we invite you to take a look at Digital Nomad Escape Plan; a full-fledged (almost) 200-page ebook to help you get started on your nomad travels in Chiang Mai, Thailand (and it's completely free).
You can download your free copy here.